[CVFD-M83] Direktor Wifi Dual SIM Quadband Worldphone
Found in: Mobile Phones
Download CVFD-M83 Software & Manual
CVFD-M83 - "Direktor" Product FAQ
- How can I install a Java application on this phone?
Search the internet for Java files that have the extension .jar (these are executable Java files). Not all of them will work. Some are especially for Nokia or other brand phones. Transfer it to your phone's microSD card as you would normally transfer a file. From the FILE icon, locate your file and select it. Java will take over and ask you if you want to install it. Agree and the application will be installed for you. Enjoy!
- Does the phone come with a contract?
This phone is contract-free and fully unlocked so it can work with any GSM service provider you choose.
- Does the M83 come with an analog TV tuner?
Yes, watch TV and be happy with The Direcktor wifi phone.
- Is this phone like the iPhone?
No, this phone is better than the iPhone! Unlike the iPhone, the M83 comes fully unlocked and ready for use with any network or carrier straight out of the box. You do not need to use any firmware hacks and risk "bricking" the phone. The M83 also has dual SIM and video recording functionality (unlike the iPhone).
- Is this phone like the Chinese HiPhone, APhone, or SciPhone?
No, this is better than all of them. Unlike with other Chinese touchscreen phones, the M83 comes with a full 3 month warranty from Chinavasion along with a professional in-house customer support service. You can also be secure in the knowledge that your M83 has gone through rigorous QC testing before it is shipped direct to you.
- This phone has an accelerometer, what exactly is that?
This is a built-in motion sensor that tracks when the electronic device has been tilted or swiveled. It is a feature most commonly used to change images in a photo viewer or to change tracks in an audio player.
- How long should I charge the battery before first use?
Before you use the battery for the first time, please charge it for 12 hours.
- Should I load MP3's or WAV music files into my phone to listen to?
It's a trade off really. With MP3's, you get lower audio quality, but because of its small file size you can fit more into memory. With WAV files, you get CD quality music, but on average, one WAV file is equivalent in size to ten MP3 files.
- Great to hear that the phone comes with 2 batteries. What if I need more batteries, what should I do?
Simply contact our customer support department to order replacement accessories. Easy peasy.
- How many contacts, can the phone hold?
The phone itself has the capacity to hold 800 contacts. SIM cards usually hold 250 contacts. Since this phone can hold two SIM cards, altogether you are looking at 1,300 contacts. That's a lot of friends!
- Can I change the ringtone with this phone?
Definitely. The phone provides for many preset ringtones. Wonderful classics like the Pachelbel Canon and music from Nintendo's Mario Kart video game series, You can also load your own MP3s to act as ringtones or use the phone's sound recorder to record your own voice or sounds as a ringtone.
- I heard somewhere that I can record phone conversations with this phone. How do I do that?
When a calls come in, you will be presented with an option box. Press that key and a menu will appear. One of the items on the menu will allow you bring up the sound recorder to tape the entire conversation as a sound file for playblack at anytime.
- How do I change my ring tone?
Tone volume and set up is found by pressing PROFILE icon and not the SETTINGS icon. Once in profile, select GENERAL and then CUSTOMIZE. You will be given the opportunity to change ringing options.
- What is Dual Standby and does The Direktor phone have it?
A phone which is designed to work with 2 Subscriber Identity Modules (SIMs) are called Dual SIM phones. Of these Dual SIM phones, the ones which allow both SIMs to be active at the same time so you can receive calls on both are called Dual Standby phones. Yes, the CVFD-M83 is a dual SIM, dual standby phone.
- How does the built-in answering machine work?From the main menu, select the ANSWER icon. You will be taken to another menu that will allow you adjust settings like how long before the answering machine picks up the call and how long your caller's message should be. When an actual call comes through, the answering machine will save your calls to the memory card and you can review them at anytime.
- I hear that the phone has "In Call Background Noise". What is that? As far as sound effects go, if you use this feature - you decide what background noise your caller hears when they're talking to you. You can set the background noise so your caller thinks you're in a restaurant, in the subway or a host of other settings. Perfect for the devious in all of us.
- How can I change the placement of my icons in the main menu? There may be certain icons you want closer to the first page, in which case The Direktor phone was designed to allow you to move the icons about just like you would do on your computer desktop. Simply place your finger or pen stylus on any icon for more than 3 seconds and all the icons will start shaking. This indicates you are in icon moving mode. Locate the icon you want to move and place your finger or pen stylus on it for more than 3 seconds. It will increase in size indicating that you can move it. Just drag it to the new location. When you're done moving icons, press the black select button at the center of your phone to exit icon moving mode.
- How do I setup a wake up alarm?
Click on the CLOCK icon. You will have the ability to setup 6 different alarms depending on frequency and day(s) of the week.
- You mentioned that you can setup a different ringtone for each caller on your contact list, how do I do that?
It's really easy. Simply press the CONTACTS icon on the bottom of your screen and select "caller ringtone". After choosing the ringtone, you'll be prompted to associate it with a particular contact in your phonebook.
- I need to know something really important which no one ever talks about. How does the phone feel in your hand?
Solid is the best word we can think of to describe the tactile sensation of holding The Direktor in your hand. As cellphone aficionados, we test our fair share of phones for professional and personal reasons. For us, cellphones that have in the past provided exceptional feel in your hand quality has been any of the Nokia N series especially the N95. Going farther back, the Siemens S40 felt great to hold as well. We're not big fans on the iPhone though because it's too wide and too thin for our tastes. It feels like you are holding a calculator in your hands not a mobile phone! The Direktor CVFD-M83 on the other hand is the epitome of a touchscreen phone in a candy bar form factor. It's narrower than the iPhone, but just slightly thicker to give you the impression you're holding something solid in your hand. Of course, the fact that it's well built accounts for that too. But the smooth black face and the rounded chrome corners lends itself to a phone that's as well-designed aesthetically and tactilely, as it operates superbly.
- At the bottom of the screen there are four main icons: phone, contacts, opera, and music player? Is there any way I can change those or are they permanent?
Yes, the four short cut icons can be changed. Simply press and hold one of the icons in the main area and the entire icon set will vibrate. Next select the icon you want to become a shortcut and it will increase in size. This shows it can be moved. Then simply drag it into the shortcut icon area and it will replace the one you dropped it on.
- When I am entering the name of a new contact in my phonebook, what is the maximum number of characters I can use?
You can enter a name that is 14 characters long.
- Where are the accelerometer settings for image rotate?
Image rotation is achieved by viewing a photo and touching the screen. A rotation icon appears that allows you to switch from portrait to landscape mode and vice versa.
- I understand that I can input text in many different languages, but what about displaying websites in different languages aside from English?
When you go into the Java menu you'll have the option of using different language versions of the Opera mini browser so you can view different country websites. The different web browser versions are: Chinese, English, Brazilian, Spanish, Russian, Arabic, Indonesian, Turkish, and Vietnamese.
- Is there a Twitter client for this phone?
We were able to install Twim for mobiles on The Direktor which will allow you to send tweets to your Twitter account. For more information about Twim, please google "Twim".
- I've noticed that in general Chinese phones don't come with sync-ing or contact software. What do I do?
In this case, consider getting a SIM card reader for reading and writing your contacts to your phone with ease. Furthermore, we've figured a way to hack the phone so you can update the TASKS too. In this case, create a vcalendar file using notepad and save it as whatever name you choose, but it must have the extension .vcs
The format for the file is:
SUMMARY;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE;CHARSET=UTF-8:Type your message here!!!
The message can be changed from the line which begins SUMMARY. As for the other parameters, we'll let you figure that out. Then move the transfer the file to your phone with your USB cable.
- What kind of operating system does this phone use?
It's called Nucleus RTOS.
- Why is my fully charged battery being used up so quickly?
This isn't a problem with just this phone or Chinese phones. It's a problem everyone is experiencing with all smartphones whether it's a Nokia, Sony- Ericsson, iPhone, etc. Just google WIFI cellphone battery problems. We're seeing battery power being significantly lowered across the phone spectrum by the following three functions in these types of phones: WIFI, Bluetooth, and GPS. To conserve battery power, disable WIFI, turn off BT, and disable GPS if you have it.
- I'm having trouble logging onto WIFI, can you help me????
First set the correct time on your phone. The time must sync with the router time for logging to occur. Next, The Direktor phone works best with 802.11b routers. Since 802.11g routers are backwards compatible, they shouldn't pose a problem. As for 802.11n routers, they may or may work depending on whether the n router in question works with a, b, or g routers.
- How hackable is this phone?
If you like to hack things, by that we mean squeeze more functionality out of a thing than was originally intended then this phone is for you. Keep in mind that any attempts to open up the phone, flash the firmware, basically mess with it, will void the warranty. Having said that, if DIY hacking is your passion then you might find gsmhosting.com very interesting. Especially the section about Chinese models and cloned phones.